Slow Cooker Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup – Skip the trip to your local restaurant and make a batch of this insanely delicious copycat soup! It’s healthy, it’s delicious, and it’s made low carb! Perfect for a low carb and keto-friendly lifestyle!
So the other day it was starting to feel like fall – wait, let me say that again, it felt like fall around our neck of the woods. Now this morning as I am writing this post, I get a notification on my phone saying, “RECORD HEAT WAVE…How hot will it get?” Come on weather and let’s get it together. Is it going to be fall or are we going to have summer heat a little longer than expected? It’s so hard to predict and believe it or not; I had a delicious soup planned for dinner tonight. I think we will end up grilling burgers or something now.
I shouldn’t complain because life is great, but I was just starting to get used to the idea of it started to get cooler. Sorry about my short rant!
Even though it isn’t perfect soup weather here today, I am still going to share this incredible low carb Zuppa Toscana soup with you! It’s one of my favorite soups at Olive Garden, so I knew I had to make a copycat of it sooner than later.
After coming back from vacation, my body was seriously starting to hurt, and I knew I had to start my keto diet again. I have way too much too loose, and I should start to get serious about it. If you haven’t read my post about How I Survive My First Week of Keto (low carb ketosis) I highly recommend taking the time to read it. Matter of fact, I will be re-reading it as well because I need all of the tips I can get!
So what makes this soup low carb? If you have ever had Zuppa Toscana soup before you know the main ingredients are diced potatoes, sausage, kale, and a flavorful broth. With that being said, it wasn’t hard to make this low carb Zuppa Toscana. I substituted the diced potatoes for fresh cauliflower florets. I haven’t tried making this soup with frozen cauliflower, and I am not sure how the cauliflower will hold up. I’m afraid it would be a little mushy, and that’s not the texture we are going after. I used hot Italian sausage, but remember to watch the sugar in store-bought sausage.
Slow Cooker Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup (Keto-Friendly)
- 1 pound mild or hot ground Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup finely diced onion or 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 36 ounces chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 large cauliflower head, diced into small florets
- 3 cups chopped kale
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Brown the ground sausage in a skillet over medium heat until done.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and place it into at least a 6-quart slow cooker. Discard the grease.
- Place the oil in the same skillet and saute the onions for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the onions, chicken or vegetable stock, cauliflower florets, kale, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Mix until combined.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Add the heavy cream and mix until combined.
- Serve hot.