This delicious meal is based on a popular recipe, Eggplant Lasagna from the KetoDiet App. Following several requests from my readers, this one is meat-free. As some of you may have guessed, I used eggplant slices and thin egg omelettes to reduce the overall carb count per serving.
Good to know: If you want to get the best out of eggplants, don’t peel the skin off. It contains phytochemicals and the eggplant itself is full of antioxidants. Both protect cells from the effect of free-radical damage, therefore eating eggplant regularly can have anti-aging effect. This rich-colored low carb vegetable is also packed with fiber. I love eggplants, they are low in carbs and high in micronutrients, especially potassium. Hope you like my recipe, don’t forget to let me know by leaving a comment 😉
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||18.9||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (8%), protein (18%), fat (74%). Are you counting total carbs? This post explains whether you should be counting total or net carbs.
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 2 medium eggplants / aubergines (750 g / 26.5 oz / 1.6 lb)
- 1 cup Marinara sauce ( 240 g / 8.5 oz)
- 300 g fresh spinach (10.6 oz) or g frozen spinach (330 g / 11.6 oz)
- 1 1/3 cup feta cheese (200 g / 7.1 oz)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated (110 g / 4 oz)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (30 g / 1.1 oz)
- 6 large eggs, free-range or organic
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp ghee – you can make your own (85 g / 3 oz)
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- Optional: fresh herbs such as basil and oregano for garnish
For “regular” Lasagna, instead of the spinach, use 500 g / 1.1 lb ground beef or turkey cooked on a tablespoon of ghee and flavoured with the marinara sauce. When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F. Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch (~ 1 cm) slices and place on a baking tray. Grease with 1/4 of melted ghee, season with a pinch of salt and place in the oven. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- If you’re using frozen spinach, let it defrost at room temperature for a couple of hours (or microwave). If you’re using fresh spinach, you’ll need to blanch it. Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Fill a bowl with ice and water or simply with cold water. Place the spinach leaves into the boiling water and cook for 30-60 seconds. Transfer the leaves immediately into the iced water using tongs or a strainer. One it cools down, remove from the cold water. Drain the excess water by placing the spinach in a strainer and squeezing the excess fluids out.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Marinara sauce by following this recipe.
- When the eggplant is done, remove from the oven and set aside. Reduce the temperature to 180 °C/ 360 °F. Prepare the omelettes. Crack one egg at a time in a bowl, season with a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Pour on in a hot pan greased with ghee (use the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee for greasing the pan as needed) and swirl around to create a very thin omelette. Cook for just about a minute or two, until the top is firm. Place on a plate and repeat for the remaining eggs. Make a total of 6 omelettes. Start assembling the lasagna by placing a layer of 2 omelettes on the bottom of a banking dish (I used a 9 x 12 inch / 23 x 30 cm baking dish).
You can create less layers if you like – it’s totally up to you. Just make sure you top the lasagna with some mozzarella and parmesan.
- Spread a third of the Marinara sauce on top of the omelettes. Add a third of the eggplant slices, …
- … a third of the grated mozzarella cheese, half of the spinach…
- … and half of the crumbled feta cheese. Top with 2 more omelettes.
- Repeat layering the lasagna: Spread a third of the Marinara sauce on top, add a third of the eggplant slices and a third of grated mozzarella. Add the remaining spinach and feta cheese. For the last layer, add the remaining omelettes, marinara sauce, eggplant slices and mozzarella cheese. Top with all of the grated parmesan cheese and place in the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes. When done, the top gets crispy and golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool down. Cut into 6 pieces / servings.Eat immediately or let it cool down and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. The lasagna can be served either warm or cold.